5 October 2021

Parish Councillors are hereby summoned to a meeting of Neasham Parish Council on Tuesday 5 October 2021, 6:30PM, in Neasham Reading Room to transact the business listed in the agenda below.

Members of the public are entitled to attend Parish Council Meetings as a non-participating attendee (unless confidential matters are under discussion) but may speak only at the invitation of the Chair. Those wishing to speak on any matter during the meeting must give written notice giving brief details to the Clerk or Chair at least two days prior to the meeting.


  1. Chair’s welcome and apologies for absence.
  2. Declarations of interest in items on the agenda.
  3. Approval of Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on 7 September 2021 as previously circulated.
  4. Matters arising from previous meeting – None.
  5. PACT Report – no meeting.
  6. Roads and footpaths.
    • Issue of the public right of way across the New Lane development.
      i) To receive a report on recent events concerning the public right of way through the New Lane development.
      ii) Having regard to the provisions of sections 130(6) and 130A(1) of Highways Act 1980, to consider whether a representation and/or notice should be sent to the Highway Authority concerning the possible unlawful obstruction of the pedestrian gate.
      iii) Having regard to the provisions of sections 131(2) & 132(1) of Highways Act 1980, as applied to signage affixed to the pedestrian gate whether by a private individual or by the Highway Authority, to request the Highway Authority to make appropriate investigation and subject to the results of that investigation use their statutory powers to regulate the position.
    • A request had been received from the Tees Valley Combined Authority requesting public participation in a transport survey which has been posted on the website and Facebook page.
    • The Chair had noted that Highways had been seen repairing potholes on Sockburn Lane.
  7. Environment Agency Matters.
  8. Village Green.
    • Trees made available by Darlington BC to parish councils for planting in agreed areas of the parish. L Tostevin had made enquires and had been informed that Darlington BC will shortly be inspecting locations to confirm suitability. A further email has been received from Darlington BC regarding the Woodlands Trust offer of free trees as part of the Queen’s Canopy celebration which includes orchards and hedgerows.
    • The bench donated by Mr and Mrs Dobinson is still awaiting delivery, payment will only be made after satisfactory delivery.
  9. Planning.
    • Applications received since last meeting:- 
    • Decisions received since last meeting:-
    • Update on appeal on traveller sites and further unauthorised development.
  10. Risk Management.
    • Scheduled Inspections due in September were Trees and Village Green (incorporating verges, accessible spaces and notice boards).
    • One defect was raised in September which was forwarded to Darlington BC and which has subsequently been rectified. One Defects remain open.
    • The Risk Management Report to 30 September has been circulated.
  11. Finance.
    • The balance in the current account stood at £8,993.64 as at 24 September 2021 with two further cheques to issue.
    • A copy of the Finance Report to the 30th September 2021 had been circulated.
    • To confirm previously approved payments made in September of £424.76 CAME and Co (Insurance), £439.84 Clerk (Salary), £110.00 HMRC (PAYE).
    • CAME and Co have issued the insurance policy documents following receipt of payment. They also  informed us that they are rebranding with a name change to Gallaghers, our  policy is not affected.
    • Reminder that Darlington BC require us to forward our precept request to them in December, which means the budget has to be approved at the December meeting. Members should be considering any items they wish to be included before then.
  12. Updating of Policies and Procedures Documents – nothing to report.
  13. Ward Councillor Matters.
  14. Correspondence (all as circulated September).
    • Various emails from NALC regarding Chief Executive’s bulletins, Newsletters, Online Events, Funding and Grants Bulletin and Updating by MHCLG on Public Works Loans Board dated September 7, 8, 9, 14, 14, 14, 20 and 27 (for information only unless any member has any matter arising).
    • NALC email 14/09/21 regarding a DEFRA Policy Consultation on Local Nature Recovery Strategies
    • It has been requested that we review our approach generally with regards to NALC publications received by email.
  15. Other village matters.
    • Liz Conlin had received an email from the North East Ambulance Service advising that the defibrillator should now be registered with a national data base named “the Circuit”. Liz agreed to carry out the registration on behalf of Neasham PC as she held all the relevant information.
    • As instructed the clerk had enquired with Doug Oliver (Constituency Officer of Paul Howell) as to what items Paul would like to discuss and also invite him to attend one our meetings. Unfortunately their reply gave no indication of discussions proposed, but did say that it would be impossible to attend our meetings as they were held on Tuesdays and offered a Zoom meeting as an alternative. The members to decide if this is worth pursuing.
    • Update on plans to hold a Remembrance Day Service in Neasham.
    • Following agreement at the September meeting to take an allocation of poppies to sell in support of the RBL, there had been a difficulty in obtaining supplies and some members were expressing reservations on involvement as they were already contributing separately.
    • No Airport Consultative Committee meeting had been held in September.
    • Darlington BC had confirmed that Sam Walter’s nomination for the “Best of Darlington” had been carried forward to this year, as last year’s event had been cancelled.
  16.  Date of next meeting as Tuesday 2 November 2021.

    John Walker
    Clerk to Neasham Parish Council