1 February 2022

Parish Councillors are hereby summoned to a meeting of Neasham Parish Council on Tuesday 1 February 2022, 6:30PM, in Neasham Reading Room to transact the business listed in the agenda below.

Members of the public are entitled to attend Parish Council Meetings as a non-participating attendee (unless confidential matters are under discussion) but may speak only at the invitation of the Chair. Those wishing to speak on any matter during the meeting must give written notice giving brief details to the Clerk or Chair at least two days prior to the meeting.


Please note that masks must be worn by all attendees at the meeting and re-usable masks will be made available at the next meeting. Social distancing regulations must be observed, hand sanitizer is also available and must be used when entering or leaving the meeting.

  1. Chair’s welcome and apologies for absence.
  2. Declarations of interest in items on the agenda.
  3. Approval of Minutes as previously circulated.
    • Approval of the minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on 7 December 2021.
    • Approval of the minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on 7 December 2021 to which press and public were excluded.
  4. Matters arising from previous meeting.
    Consideration of applicants expressing an interest in co-option as a councillor to fill a vacancy on the parish council.
  5. PACT Report – no meeting.
  6. Roads and footpaths.
    Update on the Issue of the public right of way across the New Lane development. Additional signage had been installed by Neasham PC on the approach. Update on the Darlington BC position awaited.
  7. Environment Agency Matters.
    The conifer tree which had blown over and was blocking the Teesdale Way has now been removed although access was delayed because access to the area was unsafe due to flood warnings. The Environment Agencgy have agreed to re-instate damaged fencing.
  8. Village Green.
    • The verge on the leg approaching the New Lane development gates is overgrown and the Chair is considering requesting Darlington BC to resume their cutting regime to that area.
    • There was a shortage of lights for the Christmas tree this year and light from elsewhere utilised. Approval required to purchase more for next year.
    • Trees made available by Darlington BC to parish councils for planting in agreed areas of the parish. Proposed site inspection by Darlington BC still awaited.
    • The Curcuit had reported that someone had been sent to collect the defibrillator on 7 January and it was recorded as unavailable. Liz Conlin had checked the following day and all was in order, Circuit informed and now  available.
  9. Planning.
    • Applications received since last meeting:- 
    • Decisions received since last meeting:-
  10. Risk Management.
    • One scheduled Inspection was carried out in January, the Christmas tree light post-use inspection.
    • A retrospective defect notice was raised in December for the isolation of the underground cable to the Millennium Garden spotlights, which was closed out. All defects are now closed.
  11. Finance.
    • The balance in the current account stood at £6870.47 as at 17 January 2022 with three cheques in the total of £134.45 unpresented.
    • To cofirm payment for the use of the Reading Rooms for parish council meeting in the reduced annual sum of £80.
    • To confirm previously approved payments made in December and January of £9.06 (postage stamps), £429.84 (Clerk salary), £110.00 (PAYE), £50.00 (Councillor printing costs), £61.95 (Toolstation) fencing pins and tape.
    •  To confirm approval to purchase a batch of re-usable face mask in the sum of £22.50 for for use at parish council meetings.
    • To formally agree the process to appoint supplier(s) for the construction of the proposed shrubbery area to enable a start on site early in the next financial year.
    • Finance Report to 31 December 2021 as circulated.
    • Darlington BC have confirmed receipt of our Precept request for 2022/23 which will be paid in April.
    • GC had approached the Reading Rooms with regards to them making a contribution towards the cost of installing the lectern and honours board at the proposed shrubbery area. No adverse comment made by their committee and a further approach to be made when we have accurate costing.
  12. Updating of Policies and Procedures Documents.
    • Revised Code of Conduct prepared by Darlington BC who have informed us that it will be adopted by them fron 1 January 2022. G Crute had corresponded with Luke Swinhoe who had agreed in principle to proposed alterations to the layout presentation in order that the document could be accommodated in the Neasham PC website. G Crute to report on the current position and outline the process with a view to approving the final documentation at the AGM in May.
    • G Crute is currently reviewing the GDPR documentation including Privacy Notices for consideration when available and presented for approval. See also G Crute notes as circulated.
    • G Crute is currently reviewing the Asset Register documentation and will report progress.
  13. Ward Councillor Matters.
  14. Correspondence (all as circulated December and January).
    • Various emails from NALC regarding Newsletter (15/12, 12/1, 17/1), Chief Executive’s bulletins (13/12, 17/12, 17/1), NALC Chair letter (20/1), Online Events (21/12), OFFCOM Consultation (11/1), NALC  Queen’s Jubilee Information (11/1). For information only, unless any matters raised.
    • NALC email 08/12/22 GC considering if any merit in enrolling with Breakdown Communications on building Future Communities.
    • NALC Newsletter 19/01 GC is interested in the Climate Emergency Network, unless anyone else is.
  15. Other village matters.
    • Darlington Association of Parish Councils’ next meeting to be held on 3 February 2022.
    • The Durham  Tees Valley Airport Consultative Committee meeting had been held remotely by TEAMS on 12 January 2022 with the Chair in attendance.
    • To agree the dates of the AGM and Parish Assembley.
  16. Date of next meeting as Tuesday 1 March 2022.

John Walker
Clerk to Neasham Parish Council